A portfolio is a powerful tool to demonstrate your professionalism and pro-activity. Instead of relying on what you say in response to questions at interview, parents are also able to see real proof that you are able to do the job, as well as get an idea of your childcare and communication style. Even if you are new to the area you can demonstrate that you are a motivated and independent self-starter by researching local activities and amenities. A sample menu enables you to showcase your cooking skills as well as your understanding of nutrition and photos of activities you have done in the past allow parents to visualise what you will do with their children.
- A CV
- Paediatric First Aid certificate
- Proof of childcare qualifications, and any childcare related short courses
- Proof of academic qualifications (GCSEs, A-levels, Standards or Highers)
- DBS check
- Certificate of professional insurance
- A form of photo ID (passport or driving license) and proof of address
- Driving license if you will need to drive and car insurance with business cover if you use your own car
- Written references with contact details (placement, babysitting, volunteer work)
- Play ideas for different ages, including any photos of activities that you've done before
- Activity suggestions for the local area
- Menu suggestions for different ages including purées, finger foods, full meals and snacks
- Suggested daily routines for under 1s
Am I showing that I can.....
- Meet the needs of different aged children?
- Communicate with parents?
- Work independently?
- Take initiative?