Childcare Roles Related to Nannying

At some point you may want to move away from nannying to a different role in childcare or working with families. Perhaps your family circumstances have changed, you fancy a change of scenery or you  feel that working with another family so closely is not right for you at the moment. There are many career options for nannies out there.

Experience as a nanny is very valuable. You have demonstrated that you are able to work autonomously and take total responsibility for yourself and your charges. Other transferable skills include handling cash by managing the kitty, being punctual and working closely with parents. You come up with activities that meet you charges' needs, carry them out and reflect on what worked, what didn't and why.

Other career options for nannies


A childminder is a registered, self-employed childcarer who looks after children at the childminder's house or on other domestic premises. They have to respect ratios and meet the full requirements of the EYFS or other local early years curriculum. To become a childminder you may need to make changes to your home. Also, all those living in your house over the age of 16 will need to be DBS checked and you may have to complete additional mandatory training such as the CACHE Award in Home Based Childcare.

Childminding can be an excellent option if you have your own children, especially once you have nursery and school to take into account, or if you want more control over your working conditions. This is one of the most logical career options for nannies as it is very closely related.

Nursery Nurse

If you are qualified with a full and relevant level 2 or level 3 (or above) in childcare and education/early years you can work in a nursery. If you are not qualified you may be able to get a job as an apprentice where you will be mentored to complete your qualification in the workplace. Nursery nurses provide care in registered settings which cater for large numbers of children such as day nurseries and preschools. They may also work in a nursery class attached to a school. As a nursery nurse you are expected to take part in planning and supervising activities and completing learning journals, as well as providing care for the children.

Although it may seem like a step backwards this is one of the career options for nannies that can lead to many different things.  Nursery Nurses can be promoted and access workplace training to become room supervisors, nursery managers or train as an Early Years Teacher.

Community Nursery Nurse

A Community Nursery Nurse works with the Health Visiting team responsible for the wellbeing of children under 5 in the local community. They can carry out basic checkups, such as weighing newborns at a clinic or the 2 year old developmental check.

Maternity/Postnatal Ward Support Worker or Neonatal Nursery Nurse

Maternity/postnatal ward support workers work at the maternity unit of a hospital. They help mothers care for their new babies and teaching basic babycare such as feeding, changing and bathing. Neonatal Nursery Nurse work in Special Care Baby Units or Neonatal Intensive Care units. They work with sick and premature babies carry out basic babycare.

Teaching Assistant

Nannies with a level 3 qualification and classroom experience can often find work as a teaching assistant (TA) in a primary school. TAs support the class teacher or work with children who have additional needs on a one-to-one basis. You can also work in a secondary school as a TA, and train to become a Higher Level Teaching Assistant with more responsibilities. As this is term time only work it can be one of the more popular career options for nannies with children.


Playworkers work in before/after school clubs and holiday schemes, provided via schools, charities or private companies. Playworkers plan fun and relaxing activities for children such as arts and crafts, music and sport as well as supervising free play and homework.

Maternity Nurse (non-medical)

Also known as a postnatal carer, maternity nurses are often nannies who have specialised in newborns. They usually work in 24/5 or 24/6 roles with families and their new arrivals. Maternity nurses are particularly useful for mothers of twins and those who have had complicated deliveries. They help initiate breastfeeding, get baby into a good routine and support the family in learning to care for their newborn as well as keeping an eye on the mother's wellbeing. Although you don't need to hold a specific qualification there are a number of training companies, including some who offer discounts to BAPN members, that offer specialist training in caring for newborns and new mothers.


Also working with new families, doulas can offer birth or postnatal services to couples in the early days of parenthood. Unlike maternity nurses, doulas support the family not just in caring for their baby but also by looking after older children, cooking family meals, keeping on top of laundry and providing emotional support. Although further training is not necessary it is encouraged. If you want to join Doula UK you will need to undertake a recognised introductory course.

Sleep/behaviour consultant/troubleshooter

If working with a variety of families to solve tricky issues appeals to you then you might decide to set up as a self-employed consultant or troubleshooter. Often specialising in a particular area such as dealing with sleep problems or managing difficult behaviour, consultants provide in person, telephone or email support to families.


With further training:

Early Years Teacher

EYTS is the professional qualification replacing EYPS aimed at graduates wanting to take leadership roles in nursery. You need an undergraduate degree and GCSEs in English, Maths and Science at grades A*-C. This is one of the career options to nannies who have previous experience of or want to transition towards working in a nursery.

Hospital play specialist

If you hold a level 3 or higher childcare qualification you can apply for the healthcare play specialism foundation degree to work in a hospital with children to help them cope with the challenges they are facing. You would help children settle in, make friends on the ward, deal with their anxiety or pain, reach their developmental goals, learn or reacquire skills and prepare for treatments. You need to be a team player as you work as part of the healthcare team on the ward.

Primary Teacher

Teachers must hold Qualified Teach Status. To get QTS you must either complete a degree such as a BA in Primary Education with QTS or complete an undergraduate degree in any subject and then apply for a PGCE. Certain subjects are preferred for PGCE entry so talk to the university where you plan to do your PGCE before choosing your undergraduate course. If you hold A-levels or a level 3 in childcare you will probably have enough UCAS points to apply for entry to a degree course. To become a primary teacher you need GCSEs grade A*-C in English, Maths and Science.

Don't forget to highlight your experience as a professional nanny in your personal statement! Training as a teacher is one of the career options for nannies that facilitates a return to nannying, or a move into governessing, at a later date.

Children's Nurse

Training as a Registered Nurse (child branch) requires 3 years of study at university, with compulsory placements. A-levels and level 3 qualifications in childcare are accepted for entry. You will probably need to hold GCSEs in English and Maths at grade A*-C.  Becoming a children's nurse opens up career options for nannies who may later want to go back to nannying or become a maternity nurse.


Midwifery is a 3 year degree course with compulsory placements. Entry is very competitive and universities look for experience with families, pregnant women and supporting breastfeeding. You will require A-levels for many courses, although some accept a level 3 in childcare depending on your marks or your professional experience. You will probably also need to hold GCSEs in English and Maths at grade A*-C before entry. Midwifery also opens up career options for nannies looking towards maternity nursing or doula work.

Health Visitor

To become a Health Visitor you must first qualify as a Registered Nurse or Registered Midwife. You then need to be accepted for and undertake further training.

Social Worker

Becoming a social worker requires studying for a degree and undertaking placements. Social workers work with a range of clients, not just children and families in need, but there is usually an opportunity to specialise in a particular area.